Saturday, July 8, 2017

LOVELY CHOC CARAMEL SLICE



Like most people I know, I really love a good caramel slice but I must confess to being a bit particular about what sort of caramel slice I will make or indulge in.  Firstly, I can't stand a slice that is made with a shortbread type base - I much prefer a slightly crunchy biscuity type bottom.  Next, I don't like a really thick layer of caramel - I find it too sickly. Finally I like the chocolate layer to be thin and I don't like it if the chocolate shatters when I bite into it.  I'm a fussy cow, aren't I?  Lol!  Anyway, for what it is worth, this caramel slice really floats my boat and meets all of my exacting requirements.  Give it a try.  In CC it is easy and you will be up to your back teeth in choc caramely goodness in no time. This slice will keep for up to two weeks in the fridge in an airtight container - if you don't gobble it up sooner.

Image may contain: dessert and food
LOVELY CHOC CARAMEL SLICE 

Base 
125g unsalted butter diced
1 cup plain flour
1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees.  Line a 26 x 16 slice tin with baking paper and spray the paper liberally with cooking spray. (If you don't do this the paper will stick to the caramel). 
2. Place the butter in the bowl with the kneading blade. Select Speed 3 Temp 80 degrees Time 3 min.
3. After 1min 30sec pause the program and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Resume program.
4. Add remaining base ingredients to the bowl and pulse for 10 seconds.
5. Press mixture into the prepared slice tin and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until the base is lightly golden.
6. Remove from oven.

Caramel

2 tbsp butter diced
2 tbsp golden syrup
1 can of condensed milk

1. Whilst the base is cooking, place the butter and golden syrup in the bowl with the kneading blade and select Speed 3 Temp 80 degrees Time 2min.
2. On completion of program, add the condensed milk.
3. Select Speed 5 Time 30 seconds.
4. Pour mixture on to hot base and spread out evenly.
5. Place tray into the oven and cook for 15 - 20 mins until the caramel starts to brown and set.
6. Remove from oven and allow to cool to room temperature.

Chocolate Topping

200g dark chocolate
2 tbsp vegetable oil

1. Place chocolate and oil in the bowl with the kneading blade.
2. Select Speed 3 Temp 80 Time 3 min.
3. When melted, pour over the cooled base and filling.
4. Allow to chill for at least 3 hours in the fridge before slicing into small slices (it's rich!).

No comments:

Post a Comment